Civil Contingencies Officer (CCO)
Location: Civil Contingencies Unit, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Headquarters, Pirehill, Stone. ST15 0BS
Minimum salary: £32,234
Maximum salary: £34,728
Rank: Not applicable
Grade: Grade 8
Hours per week: 37
Part/full time: Full Time
Type of contract: Permanent
Role profile: Civil Contingencies Officer.pdf – 210KB
Ever thought about a career in Civil Contingencies / Emergency Planning/ Resilience / Emergency Preparedness?
We have the perfect role for you!
The Staffordshire Civil Contingencies Unit (CCU) has been playing a significant role in supporting the councils, NHS Trusts, emergency services and other public sector organisations to respond to the difficult and complex challenges of the Covid-19 Pandemic. As a result of this, a fantastic opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and highly motivated individual to join our innovative civil contingencies organisation that delivers an excellent service to a wide and varied range of public sector partners.
We exist to plan and prepare for emergencies, this can include; flooding, major fires, loss of electricity, pandemics and a whole host of other risks that we create contingency plans for. As part of the CCU we are here to support Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent to be better prepared when dealing with a crisis.
Within the role there will be a focus on project management and the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills. They will also be able to demonstrate that they can effectively manage a multi-agency project to a successful conclusion.
The successful candidate will join an established unit of officers based in Staffordshire responsible for the operational delivery of Civil Contingencies advice and support to stakeholders and clients. Your role will be focused on working with local authority stakeholders on their resilience needs, emergency planning and business continuity services.
This role will involve an element home working and some minor travel with some work will be conducted from the CCU’s base (Fire and Rescue Headquarters) and other work to be completed out of local authority/ Health premises. From time to time, you will also be required to travel to other stakeholder locations in the Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent area.
- The successful candidate will have the flexibility to adapt to meet the needs of the full range of Category 1 responders (as defined by the Civil Contingencies Act 2004) including the emergency services and the local Health Economy.
- Be capable in developing key, multi-agency, Civil Contingencies projects and plans to enhance resilience of Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent.
- The successful candidate will join a 24/7 on-call rota in which they will be required to provide cover for seven days every eight weeks on a rolling basis.
- You will also be required on occasions to set up and operate the Unit’s Mobile Control Unit and associated equipment for which personal protective equipment (PPE) and training will be provided.
- You will be the holder of a full UK driving licence and you must provide your own transport for work purposes. (Essential Car User Allowance will be paid as soon as the successful candidate joins the on-call rota).
For more information on the Civil Contingencies Unit and the job in particular, please visit the website at www.staffordshireprepared.gov.uk or speak to Bethan Morgan on 01785 898608 or Peter Taylor on 01785 898615.
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 12 September 2021, following shortlisting, interviews will take place during week commencing 20 September 2021 (likely to be on 22 September). Owing to the current Covid considerations, applicants must be available to be interviewed by video conference during this week.
The successful applicant (subject to reference, security and medical clearance) will then start with the Unit as soon as possible afterwards.
Any enquiries regarding the recruitment process please contact Holly Arterton HR Officer on 01785 89025.
Please note that if successful for this role, the following tests and checks will be conducted: